Kevin Purtill provides seamless, cost-effective assistance to financial institutions and corporate clients in transactional and litigation matters every step of the way.
As a principal at Chuhak & Tecson, Kevin advises secured and unsecured lenders in workouts, UCC matters and other banking and creditors’ rights-related litigation. He also represents small and midsized corporate clients on issues such as purchase agreements, lease agreements and general real estate matters. His services include contract negotiation and review, due diligence work and the drafting of loan and collateral documents. Kevin is exceptionally skilled at counseling lending institutions and investors on all aspects of real estate-related matters--from front-end loan documentation to the negotiation, structuring and execution of the back-end commercial workouts.
Kevin works closely with clients in order to ensure their own unique needs are met. Knowing that budget management is paramount in today’s competitive market, he advises them on the pros and cons of each possible scenario, offering resourceful and creative strategies every step of the way. Clients benefit from his highly responsive approach that delivers proven results inside and outside the courtroom.
His latest attainments include:
• $14.5 million judgment against a real estate developer in Will County, Illinois.
• $4 million sale of a 50,000-square-foot office building through court-appointed receivership in Lake County.
• Documentation of a million-dollar revolving credit facility with a Standby Letter of Credit from a foreign institution.
• Documentation of a $1.5 million construction loan to finance project costs associated with refurbishing a 13-unit mixed-used residential apartment building.
• $6 million judgment against a real estate developer in the foreclosure of 16 commercial properties under a single mortgage.
• Highly favorable award after a complex and heavily contested eminent domain action.
• Multimillion-dollar sale of a 100+ acre property in Will County.
• $2.5 million loan sale for a consolidated debt obligation secured by a large, multi-tenant strip mall.
• Representation of multiple secured creditors through complex Ch. 11 and Ch. 13 bankruptcy proceedings.
For three consecutive years Kevin was selected as an Emerging Lawyer, a distinction earned by fewer than two percent of all Illinois attorneys under 40 years old. In 2018 he was chosen by Leading Lawyers Magazine as one of the Top 100 Emerging Real Estate-Related attorneys in Illinois. Kevin serves as an Ombudsman at Chuhak & Tecson. He has served on the Recruitment, Marketing and Associate/Paralegal Oversight Committees in the past.
Kevin serves on the board for OMNI Youth Services, which is an organization that partners with parents and the community to provide innovative transformational behavioral and educational support services to children, adolescents and young adults that create pathways to successful and healthy behaviors throughout life. He is also actively involved in The John Marshall Law School Alumni Mentoring Program and the University of Colorado Boulder Alumni Club in Chicago. He regularly speaks to diverse groups on legal and financial industry issues.
Kevin is an avid hockey fan. He plays competitive hockey in the Chicagoland area and makes yearly trips to Canada for Can/Am tournaments. He also enjoys golfing and skiing.