The Firm's employee benefits practice encompasses all aspects of both qualified and non-qualified plans of deferred compensation as well as the full range of employee welfare benefit plans. Our attorneys are regularly featured as speakers and instructors on benefit issues at conferences around the country. Chuhak & Tecson also serves as general counsel to numerous Chicago-area benefit consulting firms.
Our experienced attorneys advise on both tax and non-tax benefit issues, including but not limited to reporting and disclosure, fiduciary liability, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation issues, multiemployer withdrawals, COBRA continuation, employment discrimination, and payroll practices.
In situations involving litigation, the firm generally represents employers and defends against employee claims for plan benefits, unemployment compensation and employment discrimination. However, the firm has also represented employees seeking benefits.
Services related to deferred compensation plans:
1. Counseling on plan selection, design, drafting, implementation and administration.
2. Maximizing employer benefits while minimizing employer cost.
3. Plan design and document preparation for: qualified plans; nonqualified plans; eligible and ineligible Section 457 plans for governmental agencies and tax-exempt organizations; qualified plans for tax-exempt organizations; section 403(b) tax sheltered annuity plans; and life insurance subtrusts.
Services related to employee welfare benefit plans:
4. Review of all types of insurance-funded arrangements, including bonus insurance, long-term disability plans, post-retirement medical or life insurance benefits, section 419(e) plans and group term life insurance plans.
5. Plan design and document preparation for: self-insured medical expense reimbursement plans; voluntary employee beneficiary associations (VEBAs); officer disability plans; cafeteria plans; and unfunded death benefit-only plans.